Monday 7 September 2015

Deceiving Words

Deceiving Words - Susan Butler and David Astle. 


Did you know that the Macquarie Dictionary weights about 4 kgs? Well neither did I. And now you know. 


Susan Butler and David Astle's session really had me thinking about words. (Which I hope, is what they intended). I had to stop and think about how much our words change, and how differently we use them in a variety of situations. Something that was brought up in the session was the fact that we find our voice in our language. We choose the words we like to use. I really liked that statement as I think we definitely have our own vocabulary, tailored and suited to each personality. Every person has their own words, and their own use of these words- not matter what is is. We personalise words and apply them to our own experiences. Often this can be a great depiction of character. 

This made me think about my own writing. I often feel as though my vocabulary isn't broadened enough to be able to write something profound- per se. Does writing require elaborate descriptions and complex concepts and a layering of plot driven motives? Is the way in which each person writes just a depiction of their creativity? Maybe that's just how some people are, and their writing often isn't like that.
So, when I write, will I only use the words I like to use? And will my writing be unexciting? Or is that what makes my writing exciting? The fact that I have my favourite words that I cannot help but use? What is it about words that make us drawn to them, and why do we make connections with them? 

When we associate ourselves with words, we often have the tendency to make our own meanings for them, and then perhaps create our own words altogether. David Astle discussed the process of creating words, and how often it can be difficult to give a definition to them. One phrase that particularly stood out to me was David's mention of the term "goats cheese curtain". A goats cheese curtain refers to the boundary, you might say, that encloses the general gathering area of hipsters. (I think Brunswick was used as an example of the hipster capital of Melbourne.) Recently, eating/liking/buying goats cheese has been recognised as one of the qualifying factors for a being a hipster. It's funny how much meaning we can give words, and how they can be applied to so many different concepts.

That's what I like about words. Words have the ability to change over time, and the meaning often becomes the complete opposite of what it once was.

Deceiving Words opened up a whole new way at looking at language, and means I can totally start making up new words now.




No comments:

Post a Comment